Late last month I had the opportunity to visit two of the most sacred places in Kathmandu, revered by Buddhists and Hindus. It was such a valuable experience to see both of these place on the same day. Many Nepalis profess to associate with both religious expressions of Buddhism and Hinduism.
Boudhanath Stupa is a sacred place for Buddhists' and this stupa is on the ancient footpath entering Kathmandu from Tibet. Small coloured prayer flags bat in the wind, strug from teh stupa, creating an open-tent feel to the grounds. Many people can be observed performing their circumambulations. As you walk around the stupa, the many shops surrounding burn incense and cater their merchandise to the visiting tourist, but even as a resident of Kathmandu, it is rather amazing.
After visiting Boudha, I went to Pashupatinath across town. This is a sacred temple of Shiva. Non-Hindhus do not have access to all parts of the temple but it was still very valuable to see the contrast of places of worship. This temple is the most common place for Hindhus to be burned after death in Kathmandu. While I was there I saw two deceased people on the burning pyres. Many Hindu people come to the temple shortly before their death so that they can die there. The Bagmati river runs through the temple grounds and the burning pyres rise up from the river banks.
I found it amazing how so many people can incorporate such different belief systems into their life.I am having trouble attaching the videos I took to help show you this but I hope I can soon get them posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment