I realized last weekend that many of you were sitting around tables with family and friends enjoying large meals, familiar smells, and the lull that comes after over-ingestion of turkey-goodness. I thought about the pumpkin spice, savory (for the Newfoundlanders), and well-salted gravy. It was enough to send me to the computer to ask someone to fex-ex a "Hungry-man" turkey dinner but instead I reflected on the pieces of this new life that I can be thankful for. Although there may not be pumpkin spice there is tumeric, cumin, chili powder and corriander- new things to be thankful for.
I have found myself grateful lately for unusal things:
-a back up power supply for the daily power outtages, compliments of load-shedding
-unset schedules and flexi-time as I settle in and don't have a schedule myself!
-a non-stick frying pan that I brought from home...
-a built in water-filtration system in my home
-affordable day-to-day products. I bought a receipt book today for 20 cents!
-online listening (I listen to Praise 106.5 everyday when I'm on the computer)
-I'm thankful its still 25 degrees or warmer during the day here
-shirts long enough that cover 80% of where most stains would end up on your pants...
I don't know what you have found yourself to be thankful for this season but we are a blessed in both visable and minute ways. With the loss of so much, each time I feel grief in my heart, I experience joy in the same moment. I experience joy because for everything I miss, I realize there was something rich, something special, or something beautiful that I loved in that loss and loving well is worth the transient moment of letting out a sigh and putting my newly calloused, bright sandal-adorned foot infront of the other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment